Today, I've been to Sardjito hospital for my appointment with Dr Astuti, a neurologist. It has been the third treatment and consultation that I've sought so far, due to an annoying problem which has been bothering me for almost one year. The first time was with a psychologist where I was actually intended to get some sleeping pills from GMU doctor but was being referred to a psychologist, instead whereby the second time was with my academic advisor, Dr Budi Pratiti, a psychiatrist. However, medication was not given by both of them, instead, advice on eating habit, lifestyle, avoid thinking too much before going to bed, drink a glass of warm milk before sleep, and so on were some suggestions given. It even until the extent that, after several complaints to Dr Budi, as my academic advisor, she simply said that it is of normal phenomenon due that I've been thinking too much and under some degree of stress. According to Dr Carla and Dr Budi, I should have been grateful as I still able to dream as this is the only way out for thoughts and stress that I've encounter daily. My condition could have been severe if I were not dreaming at all. Well... maybe they are right about that but for me, being dreaming all over the night which has eventually leads to exhaustion, unable to focus on studies and some degree of memory loss are indeed killing me, especially as a medical student. But it's sad to say that, though I've managed to get the prescription from Dr Budi, at last, either the drug is not available in any pharmacy (the first prescription) or I've lost the drug bought, on my way back, after being travel from pharmacy to pharmacy, of few kilometer from my kost.
Well... I was almost give up in looking for any treatment, until was given a lecture by Dr Astuti, on neurophysiology of behaviour, emotion and motivation, on 15th of March. I found out that my symptoms are sort of similar to those in sleeping disorder and manage to get an appointment with her after the lecture for further investigation. The appointment was supposed to be scheduled on the 19th of March but was being postponed to today due that she was having a postponed tutorial on that particular day.
Anyway, back to the main topic, the treatment received today. It was to my surprise that, the consultation session was really a long one - approximately 45mins and I was required to answer a series of questions and perform certain tasks like mentioning what is the day today, the date, month, year and season of today after she finish her sentence, fold the paper with right hand and put it on the floor, memorising 3 things and mention them out after a couple minutes, doing simple calculation (100-7=? then minus 7 again and again and again for a total of five times), and so on. The whole process took around 20 minutes as the tasks and questionnaires needed to be conducted were more than 10 pages thick. It was then follow by physical examination when BP and pulse were taken, eyes movements, biting teeth-to-teeth (which I'm not sure what is it for) and a series of neuroreflex examination. If not mistaken, it seems like I'm suffering from some neuronal problems too as I heard that I have some pathological reflexes. Well, I must say that this is the good thing of being a medical student as u'll know what doctors have been talking about :p I was schedule for another appointment, on the 1st of April, 7.30pm for an overnight stay at the hospital, to take a polysomnography of my sleep cycle.
After all the physical examination, Dr Astuti has even made an effort in explaining the normal sleep cycle and sleeping disorder to me, which I'm not sure if she would do the same thing to other patients. Honestly, I really do appreciate her effort though I did not manage to understand it fully due that I was kinda sleepy on that particular time :p Speaking about that, I found out that, it is really different, when consulting a doctor, before and after being a medical student. The doctors seem like having great pleasure in explaining things to me, as well as when doing anamnesis. I guess it must have been we share the "same language" as communication is made easier for them :p
I'm quite looking forward to know what exactly happens to me and hoping that there is really a cure for me after being through all these consultations as being under this state of life, ie. dreams alot and not having enough rest, loss of short term and maybe long term memory, unable to concentrate in lectures, are really killing me...................
p/s the treatment for this is...... really expensive !! Rp 250k !! Thank God that Dr Astuti was giving me a free consultation, making it a total of Rp 185k, a reduction of Rp 65k :)
Wednesday, 24 March 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment