Well... though I'm not quite really sure if I'm now a member of MER-C (as they never mention nor have a special event on welcoming new members), I've presumed that I am part of the MER-C Yogyakarta branch NOW as I've registered to them :p
Today was my first ever meeting with MER-C members, not as a candidate for events hold by them, but as a member !! It was actually a briefing for the diklat which will be held on 2~4th of April 2010. Such as event is said to be a "long-gone" event as they have not been holding such event ever since 2005. I was being informed that during this event, we (participants ONLY as not all members are required to join, it is of VOLUNTEER) will be exposed to a series of disaster management lectures and activities, which will be useful if we were to be sent to the field in the future. Though it will be a 3 days event (where we will be staying overnight at the site), the very first day will be only indoor activities which is lectures, while the second day is of outdoor activities (workshops, simulated disaster management). The third day, as being told, will be on the organization, mission and plans for the 2 years ahead of MER-C.
For me, this is really a short course on disaster management, compare to Summer Course of "Training of International Young Professionals in Disaster Medicine and Management" organize by CIMSA and UGM which will take 2 weeks time. Thus, I seriously don't think that it gonna be a real disaster management course but a basic exposure of emergency first aid. It was to my surprise that there were many MER-C members over there didn't seem to be interested and eager in joining such an activity. I'm not quite sure if they acting so due to the payment needed (Rp 50k), not interested or fear of really getting into some physical injuries (as we are required to sign a consent letter, stating that we will be fully responsible for our safety), but isn't that is what MER-C all about? Helping people in any way that we could? Isn't that is the reason why you guys choose to join MER-C? Because of the noble existence of it for rendering hands to people who in great need of it without asking for something in return? I really couldn't understand what was in their mind on that particular time, for making them behave in such a way...
Anyway, I am quite looking forward for that day to come, though it will be on the next day of a tiring day of mine, block examination day............
Saturday, 20 March 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment